Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Scrap quilt number 3

I went through all the scraps and cut the biggest squares I could get out of it all.
I ended up with a variety of sizes. What will I do with them?
After clearing off the table I found a few of the larger blocks. They never made it into this top.
A good start for the next one.


I found this applique in the bag too.
It is all glued on and only needs the blanket stitching done.


Here is the way I am thinking.
Joined, sewed, cut, sewed and added some more.



I got this far then decided I needed a break.
Off to bed and complete it tomorrow 

Well here is no 3 top finished. I do love those spots.

These are the scraps I have left. Plenty for quite a few more quilts.



I have these blocks. They are 10" square.
I might use them up in a delectable mountains pattern.
That's for another time.

3 charity quilts done now for the next Aussie Hero quilt.
Request is for Australian Native Animals.



Monday, 17 July 2017

A fun game of Lawn Bowls

My workplace put on a fun day hosting an EOFY Family Bowls day. It included lunch, a game of bowls, drinks, laughter and a winners pesentation.
I have never played this game before and had no idea what to do.
It was a fun day though.




Yep.... our team lost...

Saturday, 15 July 2017

4th & 5th Annual Piggy Bank Savings challenge...

After such a hard year understandably I did not save many coins at all. 
I linked up last year with Val and tried to save but we kept dipping into the jar.
Not to worry this is what I ended up with.

A whole total of $43.20.

I'm sure it will buy me some little treat..
Look at these damaged coins. And the special 5c piece with a kangaroo on it.

It does say on the coin... fifty years 2016.
So that means celebrating 50 years of decimal currency in Australia.
14th February 1966

You can see what others saved and spent their money on at this post.

All I can hope for is this next year will be better.
The 5th annual challenge.
I have my pot, now to fill it.
I am leaving in some coins from this year as a strat.

Why not join in.
Go here to link up too.



Friday, 14 July 2017

Our workshop night.

At sewing group this week we had a quick fun project to make. I couldn't believe how quick it was. 
We had to take our fabrics already cut and ready to sew. 
Machines all set up, start sewing.
Away we sew.
20 minutes later and this is what we had finished.
A zip & French seams too.
I added lace to mine...

Look at thespotty zip

Here is a first for this person.

This looks lovely with the tassel.

This lady made 3. She was on a roll.


There were only a few of us but we had a good laugh making the teacher work... 
So funny.
When we had finished we sat and talked for a while then had an early night.
I can see more of these being made for gifts.

Thursday, 13 July 2017

Kids scrap quilt 2

In amongst the bag of scraps were all these polar fleece squares.
Too good to just through out.
The thinking cap is on and I have an idea..


I found this green flannelette in my stash. I think it's been there nearly 8 years. 
Time to use some up. I think the colour matches well.


I have left all the squares the size they were and just trim the edges straight.
I then added 2" strips randomly onto some sides. I built them up larger than I needed by using all the same strips. Once ironed I trimmed them all back to 8.5" and decided on this layout.


This is such a warm cuddly quilt. The polar fleece and flannelette work well together.


Now to choose a backing

Monday, 10 July 2017

Kids scrap quilt ONE

I sewed all the scraps together and trimmed them down to 9" blocks.
Here is the layout I chose. 
Now to add the sashings..


I knew I was wanting to make a few scrap quits and needed a fabric to join it all together. 
A trip to spotlight was needed. I saw this aqua fabric and thought it would be perfect. 
Even better it was priced at $4 per metre. So I got 3 metres cut..
When it was put through the register it came up as $2 per metre. I quickly asked for the rest of the bolt. I ended up with 7.5 metres.. Not bad for $15..


Then I border only 2 sides of each block with 2" strips. 
Trimmed to 10", joined them and added a
I am happy with how the aqua spots are so different to all the blocks. 
It measures about 36" x 44".. I'll measure it properly when I go to quilt it.



This is what I will,be using as the backing.
 It is a whimsical bright fabric that has been given to me.


Now put it aside and get started on the next one...

Sunday, 9 July 2017

FNWF fabric scrap clean up and sort out.

Oh Scrap.


My friend and I were recently given lots of bags of scraps. 
So I got the job of sorting them out.
This is how I'm spending my Friday night.
The girls over at FNWF are probably sewing.
Once I get this sorted then I can sew all weekend...
Oh my, what a mess!!!


Here are the scraps of kids fabrics. I should be able to get something out of this...


Sorting into piles of colours.
This took quite a while but I did get through them.
The biggest pile is the fabrics I am sorting.


This is what I spent the rest of the night doing.. 
sewing my scraps together to make blocks.
I decided to focus on kids fabrics. I want to make a few smaller quilts for charity.
The size is yet to be determined.



I joined in with Cheryll and a few others for FNWF.