Wednesday 21 March 2018

LITTLE LETTERS ABC with a TOUCH of the 1930's

On one of my trips down south to see family I stopped in at Gail's Patchwork Emporium to buy a 1930s fat 1/4 for a friend. There were some lovely prints and I bought myself some too.
I spotted this, oh so cute, picture fabric. It shows the children playing, doing chores and having fun at different times of the day.
This was a perfect piece for me to put into my Little Letters quilt I wanted to make.
I wanted it a little bigger than the pattern and thought this would be just right.
 AND IT IS......

All the strips are cut to get the maximum out of the placements of pictures.
I do not want to waste any of it.


All the blocks are cut from the panel.
They are not square but measure. 5" * 5.75" cut...
I have put them in time order to sewinto the quilt.
Now to start the letters.
Here they are going together.
The letters are alternated with the picture blocks.
Telling a story of what goes on during the day.
I have laid out the letters as you learn and sing the song.

I have built up the letters from a 4" finished block and added small borders to match the alternating picture blocks. I am not putting sashing in...
 
Thank you to Sheryl for designing these Little Letters.

11 comments:

marina said...

what a great panel and it goes perfectly with your letters!
great spotting and seeing the potential.

Gretchen Weaver said...

That panel is so cute, perfect for your quilt.

PaulaB quilts said...

What a find, so sweet. It will make some child very happy.

Andrea said...

Am totally loving this quilt so far - can't wait to see the finished top - awesome

Michelle Ridgway said...

What a beautiful panel and perfect for your project. It's going to be lovely x

Mari said...

Oh, very cute! This will be a lovely little quilt! Love the little letters, too.

kiwikid said...

What a beauty of a panel, it goes perfectly with your letters. Will be a stunning quilt.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Jo THIS is an adorable idea!!!I wouldn't use sashing either. I have THREE baby quilts to make by August and am inspired by your idea!!!

Crystal_235 said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

dq said...

Goodness Sakes! Aren't those panels PERFECT to go with your letters? I love it!

I am glad to see you sewing again.

Linda said...

The pictures remind me of old fashioned Reading Book Schemes. The teacher in me is always lurking!